Cathrinesminde Brick Work Museum

Broager and Sundeved

Welcome to Sundeved and Broagerland - areas full of history and breath-taking nature.

Broager lies on a peninsula, surrounded by the Gendarme Path with a beautiful view of Flensburg Fjord. On the east side of the peninsula lies Stensigmose cliff, which is known for its fossils.

The majestic spires on Broager Church towers high above the roofs of the town and therefore used to be a seamark. The whitewashed church was built with large, medieval bricks in the 1200s with a Roman apse, chancel and nave. It was expanded in the 1400s with the Late Gothic sacristy, the arched transept chapels and the twin towers. The church is known for its adornment with frescos and has Denmark’s largest belfry.

At the cemetery 73 Danish and 200 German soldiers from the war in 1864 rest. In memory of the Danish soldiers a granite obelisk has been erected with the inscription 'Memory of the 73 Danish soldiers fallen at Dybbøl in the battle of their country in 1864. So many graves from the battles at Dybbøl in 1864 are located here, since the current cemetery on Vestergade 36 during the war was a hospital. In connection with the cemetery lies a memory grove with a hill surrounded by 165 tombstones over the fallen in the 1st Wolrd War (1914-18) from Broagerland. In memory of the 2nd World War (1940-45) there is a stone over two gendarme, who died in the concentration camp Neuengamme.

Experience the restored brickworks at Cathrinesminde Brickwork Museum. This totally restored brickwork dates from 1732, operated until 1969, and is now a museum, located beautifully at Flensburg Fjord. Follow the Teglværks path along the water and see the cultural traces after no fewer than eight tile works.

The view from Smøl Mound is amazing. It lies 46 meters above sea level with a view of Nybøl Nor, Flensburg Fjord and Broager Church.

There are good bathing beaches at Vemmingbund and Kragesand at the most southern point of Broagerland.

Sandbjerg Mansion ranks among the most beautiful mansions in Southern Jutland and was built in 1788. It served the Prussians as a military headquarters and a field hospital during the war of 1864. On June 29, 1864 its clock played a crucial role when it signalled the Prussians crossing Alssund at two o’clock at night. Aarhus University now uses this mansion for course activities.

The Nydamstien’s route follows the water via the beautiful Sottrup Forest, where the final battle of the 1864 war was begun. There are still traces after excavated cannon positions in the forest, and you can also see slideways in the slopes where the Prussians put their boats in the water when they went to the island Als. The tour goes past the mansion to Nydam Mose bog. Weapons finds in Nydam Bog indicate permanent residents’ battle against outsiders. During peat-digging in the bog people came across wooden planks and, when an excavation was carried out in 1863, not only arrowheads and spearheads in large numbers were found; also three boats from around 310 AD emerged. One was an oak tree boat axed into pieces, the other was a fir tree boat lost in the war of 1864. The third one is known as the Nydam boat and can be seen in Gottorp Palace in Schleswig. Today the bog looks like it did before the finds were made.

Share this page