Gråsten Castle is best known as the summer resident of the royal family.
The very first castle in Gråsten was a hunting and leisure castle built in the midst of the 16th century. After it burned down in 1603, a new castle was built, probably where the current castle´s south wing is now. Shortly before 1700 the Chancellor Frederik Ahlefeldt built an impressive Baroque castle, which itself unfortunately burned down in 1757, only leaving the castle church. The current Gråsten Castle, or rather the south wing, thus originates from 1759. In 1842 the main building was added.
In 1935 the right of use of the castle was given to the late King Frederik and Queen Ingrid. Queen Ingrid was very interested in flowers and stood for the planning of the garden at Gråsten Castle until her departure in 2000.
During the stay of the royal family the area is closed to the public and there is no access to the castle-garden and church. The last years the crown prince couple and their children has stayed at the castle from end June, followed by Queen Margrethe II and HRH Prince Henrik.
HRH Prince Henrik past away on the 13 February 2018 in the age of 83 years.
In 2018 the grounds surrounding the castle will be closed on the evening of the 8 July and we expect that the area will remain closed until 11 August.
Thursday 19 July 2018 H.R.H. Queen Margrethe II arrives on-board the royal yacht Dannebrog to Haderslev. After the greeting in Haderslev, the journey continues by car to the square ”Torvet” in Gråsten, where H.R.H. is greeted by the mayor of Sønderborg Municipality.
Changing of the guard:
During the stay of the royal family, a regiment departs each day at 11.30 am from the yellow Mansion "Det Gule Palæ" at Ahlefeldvej 5, accompanied by flutes and drums, and marches through the town via Borggade, Torvet and Slotsgade to the palace. This is followed by changing of the guard, which takes place at noon. During the stay of Queen Margrethe II you can enjoy a small concert in the palace yard on Fridays after the changing of the guard.